1. Brothers Bloom - I saw this three times in the theatre. And I saw something new every time.
2. Inglourious Basterds - tarantino. pitt. killing nazis. nuff said.
3. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father* - holy crap, amazing movie in every sense
4. Men Who Stare at Goats - it felt like a Wes Anderson movie. except better.
5. Up In the Air - took a thematic turn i didnt expect in the best way
6. Brothers - intense and heartbreaking
7. Sunshine Cleaning - Amy Adams is so fun. Plus the New Mexican scenery was thrilling.
8. Away We Go - the sweetest movie ever. wonderful soundtrack.
9. Where the Wild Things Are - i laughed, I cried... it hit all the right notes for me.
10. (500) Days of Summer
*I'm stretching the rules a bit here. It was theatrically released only in about a dozen cities in 2008, then released on dvd in 2009.
Movies I missed and want to see:
Capitalism: A Love Story
Invention of Lying
Time Traveler's Wife
It Might Get Loud
New York, I Love You
My Sister's Keeper
Movies I missed that might've made it on my list:
The Hurt Locker
All 44 movies I saw from 2009:
The Reader, Che, W, Coraline, Watchmen, Moonlight Sonata, Monsters vs Aliens, Two Lovers, Sunshine Cleaning, Seraphine, Brothers Bloom, Star Trek, Away We Go, Limits of Control, Harry Potter, Moon, Up, The Hangover, Inglorious Basterds, Tetro, 9, Paranormal Activity, Public Enemies, Bruno, The Soloist, Adventureland, Waltz With Bashir, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire, Where the Wild Things Are, Zombieland, The Men Who Stare At Goats, A Serious Man, Amelia, Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father, Fantastic Mr Fox, Dead Snow, Avatar, Extract, Sherlock Holmes, Sita Sings The Blues, Brothers, (500) Days of Summer, Up in the Air